Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Las Vegas, part one of my 2008 Spring Break

So, the economy sucks. Work is hard to come by. People are cutting back. No more Starbucks. Or maybe they are eating out less often. Or exchanging name brands for lesser brands.

And all that applies to college students as well. But as another quarter comes to an end, or another semester reaches its midpoint, many students are lamenting that they really, really need a break. But can they afford a vacation?

I, for example, am going on vacation over spring break, a road trip/photojournalism expedition (see, it's a working vacation) to northern Florida, to New Orleans (I've never been!), up through rural Alabama and Mississippi, to Nashville. But notice: I'm driving - no flying out of the nation's most expensive airport for me - I'm cashing out tons of Marriott points, and make no mistake about it - I am definately getting some familial help in financing this trip. If it were all up to me, if I were the only one paying for this trip, I'd be having a staycation.

How about you? How will the bad economy affect your spring break plans? What have you done for spring break in the past? What is your dream spring break?


Death Valley National Park, Part two of my 2008 Spring Break

8 comments:

  1. I am as poor this year as any year before. During Spring Break, I haven't yet got the chance to travel. This year, I will most likely get some writing done. Many of the books I'm writing are calling out badly to be finished. This will provide a good enough break for me to get to it. With school work, exams, and general work, it is hard to find the time to write my stories. So I will get some extra hours in at work, hopefully, and finish another book to be published in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes i am going on SB to Panama City Beach. There are 15 of us in 2, 6
    person lofts.... this obviously saves money but people do it every
    year regardless. I am paying for it through money I earned/credit
    card... fantasy SB- Europe.
    I think that you are only this age in college once and you only have
    so many opportunities so you might as well take advantage of them
    while you have the time. Yes, money may be an issue at this time
    period but let's be honest. It won't last forever, it will get better
    and I'll most likely be in college during most of the "down" years. I
    am going thousands of dollars in debt in loans anyway to pay for
    school, what's an extra couple hundred bucks? It will only be 100 per
    person for 6 nights and then gas money divided by 4/5 per car and then
    food/drink. Approximately $250 I would say. Worth it to have that
    experience with your friends. I was in Europe this past summer for 10
    weeks quite simply you have to pay money to experience things. It's a
    once in a lifetime experience

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friends and I found a good deal on a cruise to Mexico, figure this is our senior year, and have never previously done much for spring break. A part of me thinks I would probably reconsider the trip had I not arranged to go nearly 6 months ago. I plan on using paychecks and forget parking passes, I'm braving the Clifton streets. On the other side, I deserve a reward for getting through college and screw money; it controls way too many of our decisions.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ideally, I'd like go abroad and visit friends in Western Europe. Instead, I'll eat ramen noodles and watch reruns of Sponge Bob Square Pants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think people who use the economy as a reason not to travel aren't being creative enough. If you want to get out there, it's not that difficult to stick to cheap motels and fly out of Dayton. (I always preferred that airport anyway. Smaller, easier to deal with). There's also the good ole' day/weekend trip, like exploring Amish country or spending... Read More a night in Columbus. I never understood this idea of the "staycation."

    Also, my husband and I save up for travel by cutting costs at home. We're the only people we know who don't have cell phones or cable, and we're also the only people who aren't being totally squeezed by this recession. Coincidence?

    ReplyDelete
  6. i might be getting laid off. awesome. so on my spring break i will be daydreaming of a better life while i search for jobs. i guess you could say that a relaxing week at home has been ruined by the economy.
    (also, i am so excited about your trip! you are going to love rural mississippi!)
    in the ... Read Morepast i haven't done much for spring break.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Working as per usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading some Nora Roberts and crying myself to sleep.

    ReplyDelete