Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Economy hits Spring Break

Maui, Hawaii, Spring Break 2005


Students at the University of Cincinnati and other area schools are saying that, by and large, the shaky U.S. economy will not impact their Spring Break plans, echoing similar attitudes being expressed on college campuses across the country.

“I think that you are only this age in college once and you only have so many opportunities so you might as well take advantage of them while you have the time,” said Alex, a second-year CCM student.

Industry experts also support that perspective, even if doing so is somewhat self-serving.

Resort operator Sandals offers on its Web site a list of 26 tips for affording Spring Break.

Other operators make Spring Break sound both affordable and necessary.

''Typically, the student business is more resilient to the economy because it's like a once-in-a-lifetime trip,'' said Jason Chute, director of operations for StudentCity.com, a travel group that specializes in spring break travel.

That once in a lifetime, got to do it now before I graduate mentality is shared by Denise Lottman.

Lottman, a fourth-year A&S student said she and a group of friends found a good deal on a cruise to Mexico.

“[I] figure this is our senior year, and [I] have never previously done much for spring break,” she said. “I deserve a reward for getting through college.”

But just a bit of economic reality also creeps into Lottman’s thinking.

“A part of me thinks I would probably reconsider the trip had I not arranged to go nearly six months ago,” she said. “I plan on using paychecks and forget parking passes, I'm braving the Clifton streets.”

In addition to giving up luxuries like parking passes, some students are careful to note that they have worked hard to put together the least expensive vacation possible.

Alex will be making the migration to popular Spring Break spot Panama City, Fla.

“There are 15 of us in two six-person lofts,” he said. “Yes, money may be an issue at this time period, but let's be honest: It won't last forever, it will get better and I'll most likely be in college during most of the ‘down’ years.”

Alex estimates his total expenses for the trip will total only about $250: $100 for his share of the loft (for six nights), gas money for the drive (divided among 4 to 5 people per car) and food and drink.

Annie Dietrich, a second-year education major, can relate to Alex. She and 10 of her closet friends will be sharing a two-bedroom condo in Panama City.

But there are plenty of people who will not be traveling this March.

Amanda Turk, a fourth-year French student at Wright State University, will spend this break as she has spent so many others – working, saving up maybe for her next trip to France. That, she says, is more important to her than a week in Florida with thousands of other students.

Sean Peters, a third-year UC journalism major said that in his fantasy world, he’d spend Spring Break traveling through Western Europe.

He said that instead of France, Denmark and the Netherlands, he’d be staying in Cincinnati.

“I'll eat ramen noodles and watch reruns of Sponge Bob Square Pants,” he said.

Lauren Black of Toledo is facing an even more bleak Spring Break.

“I might be getting laid off. Awesome. So on my Spring Break I will be daydreaming of a better life while I search for jobs,” she said. “I guess you could say that a relaxing week at home has been ruined by the economy.”

And while Lottman knows how she’ll both pay for her trip and avoid racking up credit card debt, others will unfortunately, have to rely on credit, at least a little bit.

“I am going thousands of dollars in debt in loans anyway to pay for school, what's an extra couple hundred bucks?” Alex said. “I am paying for it through money I earned [and my] credit card ... quite simply, you have to pay money to experience things.”

Lottman echoed Alex’s sentiments.

“Screw money,” she said. “It controls way too many of our decisions.”

2 comments:

  1. I am jealous of you Hawaii trip. That sounds great right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost didn't get on the plane to come back to Ohio. No,really. There was kicking. There was screaming. They call it paradise for a reason.

    K.

    ReplyDelete